Following are some considerations affecting a student’s potential enrollment at Greater Portland Christian School:
1. Our mission as a Christian school is to partner with parents in the Christian training of their children in accordance with biblical principles (Deuteronomy 6:1-9; Psalm 78:5-6; Proverbs 22:6; Ephesians 6:4). Greater Portland Christian School was founded and continues to operate upon biblical values and the desire and commitment for Bible-believing Christian parents to enroll their children in an intentionally Christian environment in which we seek to lead every student to personal faith in Christ.
2. We will consider admission for students from any family who, despite their religious background or beliefs, is willing to support their children being taught from this traditional biblical perspective and who agree to have their children comply with the policies stated in the GPCS Family Handbook.
3. The student must be able to demonstrate, by testing and/or professional evaluation, that he/she is able to profit from traditional classroom instruction. While we strongly desire to be able to educate every child who comes to us, GPCS regretfully does not have the resources to provide quality educational experiences for children with substantial learning disabilities, serious emotional or social problems, or severe physical disabilities.
4. The student must have good disciplinary and attendance records and show agreement with Greater Portland Christian School’s policies and standards. Students who have had a history of behavioral problems must demonstrate a commitment to a changed lifestyle in both personal testimony and character references. We do not require that students have come to faith in Christ, but they must be able to comply cheerfully with our policies and standards. Students in grades 6-12 must be able to affirm in writing their agreement to comply with the GPCS Statement of Faith, Code of Conduct, and Disciplinary Code.
5. The student must meet state immunization requirements before he/she may attend school. For kindergarten entry, the state requirement includes a minimum of: 5 DTP (4 DTP if 4th is given on or after 4th birthday), 4 Polio (if 4 doses given before 4th birthday, an additional dose of age appropriate IPV should be given on or after the 4th birthday), 2 MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), 1 Varicella (chicken pox) or reliable history of disease. For 7th grade entry, the state requires 1 Tdap and 1 meningococcal. For 12th grade entry, the state requires an additional meningococcal vaccine. Each immunization entry must include: vaccine type, date administered, and the name of the provider. Check www.immunizeme.org for more information.
Greater Portland Christian School is a distinctively Christian institution dedicated to biblical principles of fairness and equality (Proverbs 24:23; Acts 17:26; Galatians 3:28). Therefore, GPCS welcomes students of any sex, race, color, and national and ethnic origin, providing them all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students in the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, or national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, tuition assistance programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.